Friday 20 November 2015

Coffee Cake and Witterings =D

So I mentioned a coffee cake yesterday. I think I'm ill because I actually did bake it today AND I'm writing about it. I don't know. It looks artistic. Yep. (The photos aren't complying so I'll edit some in tomorrow when there's better lighting.)

Anyway the recipe if you're interested!
(I usually multiply by 1.5 because NOTHING will rise in my oven. This is the original recipe. I do substitute some ingredients for letters to make it clearer!)

For the cake...

A) 4oz butter/marg

B) 6oz light brown sugar/golden caster  (I find substituting about a third to a half of either of these with demerara gives the cake a really rich but not too sweet flavour)

C) 6oz self raising flour

D) 2 (medium) eggs

E) 1 tbsp instant coffee granules

F) 2oz pecans/walnuts (I use walnuts because I think they're nicer and they're half the price!)

For the icing...

G) 3oz butter (if you do use marg don't use a low fat one! I made the mistake and it just curdled - badly!)

H) 6oz icing sugar

I) 1 tbsp instant coffee granules

J) 1 tbsp hot chocolate/cocoa powder

Oven - Gas Mark 5, for 20 to 30 minutes or until springy when pressed

1. Get two small bowls and put E in one, and I & J in the other. Add a small amount of boiling water to each. E should be liquid and the granules fully dissolved. IJ should be a paste regardless of if it's dissolved. Reserve to cool.

2. Beat the butter and the sugar until they're smooth and fluffy.

3. Preferably in a jug, beat the eggs and add E.

4. (To avoid curdling) Add equal parts of the egg mix and the flour to the sugar mix. Beat with each addition until it's all combined.

5. Roughly chop and add the nuts. Remember to fold the mix, to add more air.

6. Divide evenly between two cake tins and bake.

7. While it's in the oven you can make the icing! Beat the butter and the icing sugar until they're creamy and then add the IJ paste. It should turn pale brown and if it goes runny then the paste was too watery. Try beating it more and if that won't work then add more butter or sugar. If it does work still beat it quite a lot to get that air and volume into it.

8. Before being all eager, wait for the cakes to cool after removing then from the oven. If you ice them while hot the icing will just melt and disappear!

Okay, that's the recipe done. Happy heart attack!

On another note it's finally Friday! Looking forward to the weekend so I can put in a lot of crafty hours. I'm not sure if I should focus on the denim shirt or my wolf - probably the wolf since that's what you seem most interested in.

[Edit] Here's the photo:



See you sometime soon!
Heather xx

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE coffee cake. You make it sound so easy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a coffee lover but that cake look yummy! I'd be happy tasting it, looks too delicious to turn dow :) I bet it's all gone now!

    ReplyDelete